Daily Teacher Responsibilities
During a trip to High Trails, each teacher is an important part of the daily schedule, as well as a role model, mentor, authority figure, and member of the community. Although the days are long, we provide downtime and opportunities to socialize throughout the schedule and during each meal at the Staff tables. The following responsibilities will give an overview of each teacher's job while at High Trails:
- Participate in pre-trip and on-site logistical meetings.
- Build anticipation for the trip with students by utilizing the High Trails Explorer Magazine in class.
- Be part of the leadership team during the trip to help make decisions and create a meaningful experience for all students.
- Live in a cabin with students and work with a team of high school leaders to ensure the safety of students and build a sense of community.
- Collaborate with High Trails staff and high school leaders to deliver High Trails curriculum.
- Assist students who need special attention.
- Communicate with High Trails directors concerning student needs, curriculum, health and medical concerns, and anything else you may need.
- Uphold school value system, communicate with parents on a needs-basis, and deal with discipline.
A Typical Day for a Teacher at High Trails
6:30 - Hot coffee and fresh breads at Lodge
7:00-8:30 – Morning hike with Cabin groups (optional)
8:30-9:30 – Breakfast
9:30-12:00 – Morning Discovery Group
12:00-12:30 – Cabin Time
12:30-1:30 – Lunch
1:30-2:00 – Cabin Time
2:00-4:30 – Afternoon Discovery Group
4:30-5:30 – Recreation Time (downtime for teachers)
5:30-6:00 – Cabin Time
6:00-7:00 – Dinner
7:00-8:30 – Evening Program
8:30-- Cabin Time and bedtime